The PA Department of Drug and Alcohol Programs (DDAP), in collaboration with the Penn State EPISCenter, the PA Department of Education (PDE), and the PA Commission on Crime and Delinquency has developed a video training series entitled, School-Based Primary Prevention: A Key to Combating the Opioid Epidemic. This training is intended to provide an overview of the opioid crisis and information on best practice and strategies schools can use to help prevent opioid misuse. This video series is comprised of 20 videos broken into 5 learning modules:
- Module One: The Real Truths of the Opioid Epidemic
- Module Two: Primary Prevention - The Big Picture
- Module Three: Essential Elements of Programs That Work
- Module Four: How to Incorporate Primary Prevention into the School Environment
- Module Five: What You Can Do to Help
The training is available on PDE’s SAS Portal. This will allow teachers/others to receive two Act 48 hours for completing the training. The training can be used toward fulfilling professional development requirements related to Act 55 of 2017.
The training is also available on the DDAP and EPISCenter websites. Each video is downloadable with the purpose of allowing individual videos to be incorporated into presentations, trainings, etc. others provide.